Monday, September 06, 2010

Casting on Like a Crazy Woman

I swear, I think Single Skein September 2010 (SSS10) has unleashed a beast. We are only 6 days in & I have already cast on for 5 new projects. As I talked about in my last post, I made this Mustard Scarf out of some yummy Lisa Souza cashmere
Mustard Scarf
I still haven't picked a button - that is a whole different can of worms. I did weave the ends in & it's wearable, so I consider it DONE.

I also made this hat that I've been wanting to make forever
Center Square
The pattern is Center Square & I mistakenly knit it out of Knitpicks Mainline, which is a 75% cotton / 25% wool yarn (also discontinued). Not a good combo for stranded work. It has no elasticity & frankly, it will fit a conehead. This is only my second stranded project and I tend to pull too tight - this really isn't good for stranded work & I'm really going to have to work on it. Either way, the yarn is used up & I got some practice holding one color in each hand. It is SOOOO awkward, but I find it really interesting knitting.

Other things I've cast on for:
The One Row Scarf in this awesome Malabrigo Seleccion Privada.
Malabrigo tri color
I found it at a yarn shop in Houston & I fell madly in love with it. They only had one skein & I had no idea what I could make with one, but I couldn't leave it there. Perfect candidate for SSS10. This pattern is pretty brilliant - it makes great texture but is dead simple & goes really fast. It's going to be adorable, if I may say so my self!

Another pattern I have been dying to make is this Rainbow Moebius. Mine won't be so "rainbow" since I'm not using a yarn with long color repeats like that. I'm using Cherry Tree Hill Supersock DK .
100_0654
I got this yarn in my Loopy Groupie package. It's like they looked at all of my orders & sent me something they knew that I would love, because I do love this yarn! It does give my moebius a different look from the original, but I think it will be really pretty.

#5 thing that I cast on for is the Eden Scarf. I've been told that it isn't very practical, which is so very true! But I think it's adorable & I want to knit it, so there you have it. I bought this Mini Mochi specifically for this pattern after seeing some knit in this yarn on Ravelry. I think it will be cute & impractical - my favorite kind of accessory! 
Mini Mochi

So that's what I've been doing since last Wednesday. You know what else? I think the fact that we have officially been under 100 degrees here in Dallas for the last week has really helped. It even got down to 66 the other night! Suddenly it seems possible that one day it will be cool enough to actually need a knitted item. Hooray for fall (ish) weather!

What are you working on?  Any ideas for single skein projects?  I have a lot of month left.  

1 comment:

Fru-la-la! said...

Gorgeous projects, even if the stranded hat will fit a conehead!