Wednesday, January 11, 2012

WIPS to attack 2012

This is one of my favorites posts to do every year.  It makes me look at the things I have in progress and makes me think about why I haven't finished them.  I find it interesting to see what made me stop knitting something and sometimes when I pick it up again and finish it in a day or two.  My, what a fickle knitter you are, Tasha!

A few stats about the Wips that I had at the start of 2011.   Of the 18 that I specifically addressed, I finished 8 of those & frogged 2.  Did you do that math?  I should have 8 left!  Well.....I created a few new projects that have become my "need to finished" projects.

First let's talk about what's new because that is so much more interesting.

Sam sweater #2
Sam Sweater #2 - I wanted to make a sweater for this cutest little baby that was born October 2011.  I started it right about the time that he was born, but I got bored & well, I was making a one year size so I figured I had plenty of time.  I pulled it out the half finished project & couldn't figure out where I had left off, what size needles I had used, etc etc.  I am pretty religious about entering that kind of info into Ravelry the minute I start a project, but I started this sweater on the plane to Paris last year & I had thrown several different sizes of needles in the project bag.  After I finished the back, I was totally lost & started freaking out.  I checked with the mom to see what size he was in, and low & behold he is 14 months old & is in at least an 18 month.  So I start over making this sweater, which is Sam sweater #2.  It's SO CLOSE to being done, I just need to make the button band, sew on buttons, and weave in some more ends. Did you know that striped sweaters have so many freaking ends???  I already dealt with a bunch of them, but there are still quite a few.

Sam Sweater #1, which is still in progress & still has the problems referenced above. Cabled Baby Sweater.  I couldn't put my hands on it to get a picture, but it's that cute one in the link but navy with gray in the sleeve / cuffs.  Which has nothing to do with the Dallas Cowboys, I swear.

Woodsmoke
Woodsmoke Scarf - When Loft came out I had to have some & cast it on immediately.  I'd been looking for a perfect yarn for this scarf, and this was it.  Just have to finish the borders.  It's so soft & pretty.

Endpaper Mitts
Endpaper Mitts - I really love these.  I'm going to get back to them, they are so bright & happy.  I'm still intimidated by the colorwork, but I'm going to push through it on these mitts.

Curlique
Curlique Shawl - I've tried to start this shawl twice and I'm still not digging it.  I think it is destined to be frogged again.


Camo Socks

Camo Socks - I am making these for Patrick.  I was trying to surprise him, but I got stuck right here & not knowing how long to make the foot.  I finally fessed up to him about these, so I need him to try it on, finish the toe, and cast on for #2.

Girlfriend Market Bag
Girlfriend Market Bag - This was part of Cast on mania in August & I truly hate working these K2tog with the Sugar & Cream cotton.  It's in the frog pile.

Persephone
Persephone - I'm not sure why I stopped working on this.  I love the idea of this sweater in this yarn (Brooks Farms Willow).  The pictures really don't do it justice- it's going to be really pretty.

Slippers
Slippers - One finished with that terrible pink toe.  I thought I was going to work some stripes in these, but I was working on them during an Ann Budd workshop, visiting with my fellow students, and got carried away.  By the time I decided to add the pink the slipper was done.  I'm tempted to pull it out & redo the toe, but really, they are slippers, I think I can live with it.  Not to mention that they are knit flat & seamed, so I'd have to pull out the seam, frog the toe, reknit & reseam.  That seems like a lotta work for a slipper.  I cast on for #2, and I finished the first one in a half day class, so I really need to sit down, work on it, & finish it up.  It wouldn't take long!


Astrid

Astrid - Did I even talk about Astrid last year?  I know for sure I haven't taken an in progress picture since I've been this far along.  I started this in July 2008 and I pick it up periodically.  As you can see, I have a lot of circles done. I checked my notes & I have all small & medium circles done & I think I need to finish 11 more big circles to be finished.  If that is true, wow, it's close.  Other than all of that seaming, which I won't do until I can lay it out.  I also included all 5 needles I found in that bag.  Needle eater!

Clapotis
Girlie-flauge Clapotis - destined to be frogged - I truly hate the stark whiteness of the white in it.  This yarn would make great monsters, though!

Chevron Love Mitts
Chevron Love Mittens
Oh how I love these mittens.  I got completely stuck on the thumb & I won't begin to explain to you why, let's just say I was confused.  Which I was.  And kind of still am, but at least I think I have it figured out.  This is a perfect example of getting off track on a project & then letting it sit forever even after you know what the problem is, but you really don't know why you can't just pick it back up again!  Because if I haven't mentioned this, I love them.

Now let's talk about the leftovers from the beginning of 2011 (including the few project that I had hibernating but there is no use ignore them because they exist).


Vintage Velvet
Vintage Velvet - this one is on the cusp.  I surely can't read my knitting on chenille yarn with reversible cables.  I'm not sure what to do with it.  Part of me thinks just finish it like it is, even if it's wrong, because really it's going to be felted & this gorgeous color no matter what.  And I can't even imagine what frogging Touch Me would be like.

Unblocked Barn Raising Quilt
Barn Raising Quilt.  Sigh.  You will recall that I post about being finished with this last year.  It was finished but the icord around the edge was kind of tight & I couldn't block it out to the size that it really wanted to be.  I pulled it out, need to block it, then come up with another way to do the edging. That is part of cleaning up my yarn room so I have room to block & use my new steamer.  I did work on the cleaning mission today & I think maybe there is enough room for this, I might try it this weekend.


I haven't worked on any of these to any great extent, so there really isn't much to say about them:
One Row Buffalo Scarf

Learn to Knit Afghan
Notes of Lyra
Misty Ike Socks
Triple S Shawl
Lace Sampler Scarf

Trellis Shawl (needs to be frogged, including mohair)
Noni Adventure Bag (needs to be felted.  That's it.  It's even sitting in a zipper bag on the dryer.  Seriously)

I also have these bags done & they just need to be lined:
Noni Carpet Bag
Carla Cabled Bag
Sunburst Purse
I figured I would put it out there, doesn't hurt to have a little peer pressure to get it done.

And there you have it.  We won't even talk about the fact that I have 3 brand new for 2012 projects on the needles. Ahem.

4 comments:

Lyn said...

So, am I correct in my count - 19 WIPS? I'm not including things to be frogged, or bags that need to be lined (you can pay someone to do that, worth every penny, but then again, I can't really sew).
That's not too bad!

Eclectically Vintage said...

Not bad stats - you'll get them done (during those long winter nights)!
That barn raising quilt is amazing!
Kelly

LoriAngela said...

Quite the parade. I get antsy if I have more than 3 WIPs, which I have had for most of last year.
Still loving that blanket. I have resisted because some of them are not so successful!

RubyC said...

Seems to me like you are a few years behind in the blog updates. I keep thinking I want to do a blog, but I know I will fall down and not keep it up to date. Love your WIPs though.