Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Dye to the Extreme

I'm in a dyeing mode. I am LOVING all of the indie hand dyers & I secretly (or not so secretly) long to be able to create my own works of art. I doubt very seriously that I could ever sell any of it just because something in my genes won't let me part with yarn of any kind, much less the kind that I created.

A few weeks ago a handful of friends & I went over to our friend Lise's house & had a dye day. Here are some of the results using Koolaid or easter egg dyes. All of it came out lovely.





My final result


And as if that wasn't enough! This past Sunday I attended a class at Simpatico which is a lovely shop & if you ever get to the DFW area I highly suggest visiting there. My dyers in crime were Liz, Manda (who also did a podcast about our dye experience), Dawn, & Lise. Some of our friends thought we were nuts for taking a class (read: paying for a class) when we already knew how to dye. I am a firm believer in that you can always learn something else & during the class we used 100% Wilton's icing dyes & the results were fabulous.

Here is my Wiltons / Simpatico yarn




Needless to say, I'm (im)patiently awaiting a 50% off cake supply sales at Hobby Lobby so I can stock up on every single color of Wiltons. Loved this method.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I am wondering. Did the Mardi Gras sock yarn come out looking a little more purple? The black sample I brought home dried almost a dark purple. I can't wait to see your yarn wound and swatched!

Tasha said...

It's very very very dark. I think it looks black from a distance but more eggplant up close. It's a toss up.

Manda said...

Wow, the black sorta looks black in the pictures. :) Very pretty. And I love your pink/yellow yarn. It's happy. :)

Knitting Rose said...

I LOVE the colors - I can't wait to see them knit up! I think we are experts in the dyeing realm. LOL - we have to try more things!!

Woman who knits said...

They look GREAT!!!! Our dyeing session was fun, but your colors are AMAZING!!!!