Thursday, May 04, 2006

Random Pictures & Musings


I finished the Pinwheel Baby Blanket. It was fun and I think I'll make it my new baby gift. Hopefully by next time I'll know how to make a pretty crochet edge, not just a single stitch one - that in all honesty Tatiana did for me! Plus next time I think I'll make it bigger and maybe make the border with a different color yarn. All in all a fun & mostly mindless project.

My attempt at intarsia from the conference. In case you can't tell it's the bottom half of a heart. I took the class Sunday morning and to be honest I don't think it's for me. I'm glad that I know how to do it, the class was good, the teacher was great, I just don't think I have the patience for it. As a matter of fact I told a friend that I put it in the same hate category as socks...but I think that is a bit harsh! Maybe one day I will change my mind and make something with a picture on it, but in the meantime, no go for me.

Next Wednesday at the Plano meetup group we are starting the Vegas scarf. It's basically a game where dice determine what yarn you use & you flip a coin to determine if you knit or purl. It sounds like tons of fun & this is the yarn I'm bringing with me. You use 6 different yarns but as you can see I have way more than that! Shocker, I know. I'll decide how I feel about it when I get there. Stay tuned!

Yarn that I bought at the conference. I am loving this Marble by James C. Brett. It is 100% acrylic but I swear it feels like a soft wool. And CHEAP! It also says it's DK weight but I think it's working up like worsted. I bought tons of that first color (MT6) to make a sweater for myself. I figure worst case I can make another baby blanket out of it! Yarn #2 is Erdal Lazer - also inexpensive wool/acrylic blend. I have no idea what I'm going to make with it but I have about 600 yards of it. The second Marble color is what I'm working on right now but it is going to be a gift so that's all I can say about it. Other than that it is working up really pretty & I do like working with it!

This picture represents the abandonment of my yarn deal with myself. I told myself that I wouldn't buy any more yarn unless I had a specific project in mind for it. Well, evidence to the contrary between this yarn & the yarn above. In my defense, that Moda Dea Ticker Tape (right) is usually like $9 a skein & I got it for $2.40 - same with the Wild (left) although it's not usually that much more expensive. But really - how could I pass that up? But I seriously don't know what I'm making with either. In the back of my mind I thought the Wild might work on my Vegas scarf but now I have no idea why I thought that because it obviously won't work!

This is my new favorite thing ever. I went into the Woolie Ewe one day & saw that Rowan has a yarn that is very close to the Vibe that I have to make the sweater that I'm now frogging. I figured I could use it for a Rowan pattern that uses the similar yarn (Ribbon Twist). I have a friend on a board that I frequent that also knits. I emailed her to be on the lookout for cute sweater patterns in her Rowan books that I might like - she sent me her book! Can you believe it? It's like the sweetest thing I ever heard and the sweaters in this book are to die for - there are at least 3 that I'd like to try over time! So great. So thanks so much Christin!!!

No comments: